karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: bnd files in Decanter Project
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2016 12:57:05 GMT
Hi Achim,

it is difficult to predict what changes warrant a discussion. I agree with
you that I should have discussed this on the list. I talked to JB and he
was positive so I did not expect any problems. Apparently I was wrong :-(

The usage of bnd files for configuration of the imports and exports is a
very concise replacement for the same configs in xml.

The big advantage is that you can omit the maven-bundle-plugin in the pom
of each module. So basically you replace about 10-15 lines of xml with 0-5
lines in the bnd file.

This does not break any functionality for users. For developers it just
requires to put an empty bnd.bnd file into each module if it does not need
special configs. Unfortunately it is not possible to define that it uses a
bnd file if it is there  and is also happy if no such file is there. I plan
to suggest this to the felix project as it would make this even easier to
use.

In what way do you see this as a breaking change? I made sure that all code
still works and that all tests still pass. I also did manual tests of all
the modules.

So the only thing you need to do for a new module is to add this empty
bnd.bnd file and you are fine. If you do not want to use the bnd file to
configure your OSGi configs you can use the xml like before.

So apart from my bad communication where I fully agree with you.. do you
really  think this warrants a -1?
Do you have any technical concerns?

Christian

> Hi,
>
> the other day I added another module to the decanter project (cassandra
> appender).
> And I've got to say I was quite astonished to see all those bnd files in
> there, but what
> really got me stirred. It is mandatory to have those now.
>
> I can't remember seeing a vote for such a change in development!
>
> So here is my
>
> -1
>
> on this not communicated and breaking functionality change that sneaked in
> there.
>
> So whoever changed that needs to revoke this, NOW.
> It hasn't been discussed up-front and actually I just can't stand such
> sneaky moves.
>
> regards, Achim
>
> --
>
> Apache Member