karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Łukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Re: Proposal - Lightweight standalone remote OSGi implementation for karaf-cellar
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:21:41 GMT

> Wiadomość napisana przez Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@apache.org> w dniu 22 lut 2016,
o godz. 09:33:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> we (a colleague of mine and myself) started searching for a
>> high-performance / lightweight remote OSGi implementation. We have a
>> requirement that the implementation has to /also/ (in addition to Karaf)
>> run on a heavily customized JBoss 7.1.1 as well, so the lightweight part
>> was kinda important ;)
>>
>> We stumbled accross http://moi.vonos.net/java/dosgi-fabric/ which talks
>> about using the "old" dosgi implementation from Fabric8 (former Fuse
>> ESB). We had a look and we really liked it. Performance wise it comes
>> really close to RMI with about 30% overhead at 10k invocations of a
>> service sending back and forth a simple string on the same host. Using
>> different hosts the times were identical. Yes I know, that's not a
>> "real" use case, but it made us confident in taking a deeper look. It
>> also only has two external dependencies (hawtdispatch and hawtbuf, both
>> ASL-2 licensed).
>>
>> So now the proposal: Resurrect the old Fabric8 implementation, directly
>> at the karaf-cellar subproject. As the copyright of the original code
>> belongs to RedHat, Guillaume could you ask internally if the following
>> resources could be donated to the Karaf project?
>
> I've asked RedHat about the possible donation. I'll keep you posted, but
> keep in mind in case the outcome is positive, it can take quite a while
> before the code is actually moved (the legal stuff tend to be much longer
> than the technical stuff…)

I haven’t seen any vote if Karaf community is interested in picking up fabric code to their
codebase so I wouldn’t worry about Red Hat legal stuff yet but first try to clarify what
would be benefit for Karaf from getting this piece of code. There is already support for dosgi
in Cellar (I haven’t seen performance results of it in this topic), and as pointed earlier
by scope this donation could also fit ECF (maybe be even better to go there). More over at
this moment current shape of Cellar would require major refactoring to integrate fabric code.
I remember a long discussion before Cellar donation to Karaf was accepted where main concerns
were raised by former Fuse Source employees. Result of this fight caused that Cellar become
subproject, not a Karaf core module. I also remember that long time ago I had a private conversation
on IRC with Ioannis, a Cellar creator, shortly after he started working for Red Hat, about
extraction of common interfaces between Cellar and Fabric, however back then it wasn’t possible
cause usage of different distribution mechanisms.

Please explain me what is happening now, cause both projects stayed with their stuff, so Ioannis
points are still valid. More over Fabric implementation and people using it are now abandoned
by Red Hat which discontinued development on this part of project some time ago (maintaining
it in private fork I suppose) which makes me wonder about real intention and scope of this
donation.

Kind regards,
Łukasz
—