karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Orme <...@coconut-palm-software.com>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2016 02:44:33 GMT
Hi JB et al:

Inline.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

> to be clear: what's the purpose of your e-mail ?

Thanks for asking.

As a shop, we're pretty new to Clojure, so initially we took the path of
least resistance and deployed applications as uberjars.

Now we're ready to grow up.  :-)

And basically I think that a dynamic language like Clojure needs a dynamic
modular runtime in order to deliver maximum benefit.

So while I was writing the prior email there were two categories of things
in the back of my mind:

1) Things I really need to do to make our existing portfolio of
applications more maintainable, modular, serviceable, etc.

2) Features that would make the difference between getting the job done and
really fulfilling the potential of putting dynamic (or dynamically
compiled) languages inside a dynamic runtime--both at development and at
runtime.

But experience tells me that the most effective implementation of #2 will
require a community, in every sense of that word.  So I wanted to see if
this particular community finds the vision I attempted to articulate
compelling and in any case to simply introduce myself since it seems
there's a good chance I might be hanging out here awhile either way.  :-)

The detailed technical responses are appreciated.   Unfortunately, my
response will need to wait until tomorrow.  Look forward to writing more...