karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: AW: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 08:23:17 GMT
IMHO, it's a perfect approach when you don't care about elasticsearch
and just want a monitoring solution embedded in Karaf. Some Decanter
users don't know that they actually use elasticsearch and kibana (they
just see the name in the browser ;)).

If you want more advanced settings, then, you are free to create your
own infrastructure and let Decanter uses it.

Anyway, I will add a note in the documentation.

Regards
JB

On 04/04/2016 10:13 AM, Oliver Wulff wrote:
> Hi JB
>

> What you bring is right but users may have different standpoint: lot of
> people just wants to use decanter as a blackbox solution with
> elasticsearch and kibana embedded.
>>>>
> I understand this point but we should at least mention in the documentation that it's
not the recommended approach to emebed an elasticsearch node within a JVM.

> Thanks
> Oli

JVM as Karaf, but really only for demo purposes. Elastic doesn't recommend and support to
bundle elasticsearch node within another JVM. Further, elastic recommends to run elasticsearch
node isolated on a dedicated machine (!) where even nothing else is running to benefit of
the low level features used by elasticsearch.

>> https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html
>>
>> [https://www.elastic.co/static/img/elastic-logo-200.png]<https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html>
>>
>> Configuration - Elastic<https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html>
>> www.elastic.co
>> Environment Variablesedit. Within the scripts, Elasticsearch comes with built in
JAVA_OPTS passed to the JVM started. The most important setting for that is the -Xmx ...

>> Same applies for Kibana 4 dashboards. Usually, you have an elasticsearch cluster
and server hosting the kibana application.

>> What I wanted to say is that whether kibana 4 works in Karaf or not is not really
relevant for a production deployment.

>> Finally, yes, we were very keen on the release 1.1.0 as it brings kafka with SSL
support. We successfully tested this already with the snapshot version.

>> Do you have a rough idea when the next vote is planned?
>>

>> I'd recommend to use Kibana 4.5 as it brings support for custom labels and colour
customization (already in 4.4). The pre-condition is ES 2.3.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org