karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Wulff <owu...@talend.com>
Subject Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 06:58:49 GMT
Hi there

I'd like to give some feedback regarding the discussion in the vote for Decanter 1.1.0.

It's a nice feature to install kibana and the elasticsearch node within the same JVM as Karaf,
but really only for demo purposes. Elastic doesn't recommend and support to bundle elasticsearch
node within another JVM. Further, elastic recommends to run elasticsearch node isolated on
a dedicated machine (!) where even nothing else is running to benefit of the low level features
used by elasticsearch.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html

[https://www.elastic.co/static/img/elastic-logo-200.png]<https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html>

Configuration - Elastic<https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html>
www.elastic.co
Environment Variablesedit. Within the scripts, Elasticsearch comes with built in JAVA_OPTS
passed to the JVM started. The most important setting for that is the -Xmx ...

Same applies for Kibana 4 dashboards. Usually, you have an elasticsearch cluster and server
hosting the kibana application.

What I wanted to say is that whether kibana 4 works in Karaf or not is not really relevant
for a production deployment.

Finally, yes, we were very keen on the release 1.1.0 as it brings kafka with SSL support.
We successfully tested this already with the snapshot version.

Do you have a rough idea when the next vote is planned?

I'd recommend to use Kibana 4.5 as it brings support for custom labels and colour customization
(already in 4.4). The pre-condition is ES 2.3.

Thanks

Oli