karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Wulff <owu...@talend.com>
Subject AW: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 08:13:17 GMT
Hi JB

What you bring is right but users may have different standpoint: lot of
people just wants to use decanter as a blackbox solution with
elasticsearch and kibana embedded.

I understand this point but we should at least mention in the documentation that it's not
the recommended approach to emebed an elasticsearch node within a JVM.

Thanks
Oli
Von: Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net>
Gesendet: Montag, 4. April 2016 09:34
An: dev@karaf.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0

Hi Oli,

The vote will stand Wednesday.

What you bring is right but users may have different standpoint: lot of
people just wants to use decanter as a blackbox solution with
elasticsearch and kibana embedded.

So, even if your need is different, we have to address both.

Kibana 4.5 is not a viable solution as it's related to node.js: Decanter
Kibana is not a standard Kibana version: I changed to remove node.js and
use pure HTML/js client frontend.

Regards
JB

On 04/04/2016 08:58 AM, Oliver Wulff wrote:
> Hi there
>

> I'd like to give some feedback regarding the discussion in the vote for Decanter 1.1.0.
>

> It's a nice feature to install kibana and the elasticsearch node within the same JVM
as Karaf, but really only for demo purposes. Elastic doesn't recommend and support to bundle
elasticsearch node within another JVM. Further, elastic recommends to run elasticsearch node
isolated on a dedicated machine (!) where even nothing else is running to benefit of the low
level features used by elasticsearch.

> https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html
>
> [https://www.elastic.co/static/img/elastic-logo-200.png]<https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html>
>
> Configuration - Elastic<https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html>
> www.elastic.co
> Environment Variablesedit. Within the scripts, Elasticsearch comes with built in JAVA_OPTS
passed to the JVM started. The most important setting for that is the -Xmx ...

> Same applies for Kibana 4 dashboards. Usually, you have an elasticsearch cluster and
server hosting the kibana application.

> What I wanted to say is that whether kibana 4 works in Karaf or not is not really relevant
for a production deployment.

> Finally, yes, we were very keen on the release 1.1.0 as it brings kafka with SSL support.
We successfully tested this already with the snapshot version.

> Do you have a rough idea when the next vote is planned?
>

> I'd recommend to use Kibana 4.5 as it brings support for custom labels and colour customization
(already in 4.4). The pre-condition is ES 2.3.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org