karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Sobkowiak Krzysztof <krzys.sobkow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf Boot roadmap
Date Thu, 12 May 2016 06:20:30 GMT
It's nice the boot theme goes forward. +1 for all points. Especially waiting for the new dev
guide.  I think the guide should provide the both ways - the boot one and the non-boot way.

Regards
Krzysztof

> Hi all,
>
> Karaf Boot code is now on the Apache Git:
>
> https://git.apache.org/karaf-boot.git/
>
> with the github mirror:
>
> https://github.com/apache/karaf-boot
>
> I created the component in Jira.
>
> I will update the website with karaf-boot description.
>
> I propose the following roadmap for karaf-boot, heading to the first 1.0 release:
>
> 1. Bootstrapping
> ----------------
> As a reminder, karaf-boot has two goals:
> - simplify the way to create module and application for developers
> - simplify the bootstrapping as a "standalone" application (leveraging the container
feature)

> Currently, we mostly address the first point. Our starters provide annotations allowing
to easily create application. The karaf-boot-maven-plugin "calls" the annotation processor
in the starters, and other plugins behind the hood to easily generate artifacts.

> Now, we have to address the second point: bootstrapping. I started a PoC on that.
> I created new starters for bootstrapping:
> - karaf-boot-starter-feature creates a feature using the dependencies and project artifact
> - karaf-boot-starter-distribution creates both zip and tar.gz Karaf custom distribution
embedding the current project artifact and dependencies
> - karaf-boot-starter-distribution-rjar is similar to distribution, but it's a runnable
jar (using a custom Main)
> - karaf-boot-starter-docker creates a docker image embedding the custom distribution
>
> Now, the karaf-boot-maven-plugin is checking the dependencies to find one of these bootstrap
starter, and react accordingly.
> However, most of the logic is in the plugin, leveraging karaf-maven-plugin (assembly
and archive goals for instance).
> If this approach works (and is easy), I don't think it's the most elegant way.
> I think we should create a @bootstrap annotation on a Runnable class in the bootstrap
starters. The annotated class is responsible of the bootstrap artifact creation. An abstract
bootstrap starter provide an annotation processor that look for @bootstrap annotation and
run the class in a thread. The karaf-boot-maven-plugin just delegates the bootstrapping to
the starter.

> WDYT ?
>
> 2. New starters
> ---------------
> We have to extend the coverage of the starter to address more use cases. I'm thinking
about starters for test (both utest and itest leveraging pax-exam), for jaas, for management/MBean,
for eventadmin, for decanter, for camel, etc.

> 3. New samples
> --------------
> Related to 2, each new starter should have a corresponding sample. The samples are really
important as it's where the users start.

> We should also provide kind of full application use case, multi-module. I started this
showing how to use different starters in different modules (like a Logo construction set).

> 4. Documentation and Karaf Dev Guide
> The "new" Karaf Dev guide will be based mostly on karaf-boot. A second section ("advanced")
can still address non karaf-boot cases.

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak