karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject [DISCUSS] <config/> & <configfile/> in feature (KARAF-4829)
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2016 14:08:10 GMT
Hi guys,

Some weeks ago we discussed on the mailing list about the fact that a
feature using <configfile/> just creates the cfg file in the etc folder,
and the corresponding configuration is created later by ConfigAdmin
(thanks to FileInstall).
This can produce unfortunate behavior as the bundles in the feature can
be started before the creation of the configuration in ConfigAdmin.
Christian proposes to create the configuration in ConfigAdmin as soon as
the FeatureService deals with <configfile/> tag.

On the other hand, in Karaf 4.0.5, we improved the <config/> tag: the
FeatureService now creates the corresponding cfg file in etc based on
the <config/> tag content.

So, with KARAF-4829, we will have the same behavior using <config/> and
<configfile/>:
* <config/> will create the configuration in ConfigAdmin and the cfg file
* <configfile/> will create the cfg file and the configuration in
ConfigAdmin

The difference is where the configuration comes from:
- an existing file (mvn URL) in the case of <configfile/>
- inner properties in the case of <config/>

I wonder:
1. does it make sense to have both <config/> and <configfile/> in the
future (Karaf 4.1.x) ?
2. should we do the change on <configfile/> in Karaf 4.0.x ?

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB
--