karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Create one karaf feature repo per spring version in servicemix bundles
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2017 11:57:10 GMT
Hi Christian,

adding the Karaf dev mailing list in copy.

I agree with the proposal.

Now, SMX Bundles are supposed to contain only OSGi bundle wrapper for
non OSGi libaries (and jar generally speaking).
As it's where we provide Spring bundles, it would be logic to have the
corresponding feature, however, I see two issues:

1. It means that SMX Bundles will contain more than just bundle, it will
also provide features. It would be weird for users to have a feature in
mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.spring/4.3.5.RELEASE_1/xml/features

URL for instance.
2. It means we will have one feature module for each sub-spring version:
for instance 4.3.5_1 and 4.3.5_2.
It's not a big deal because it happens rarely, but it happened already.

If you take a look on Cave README, you will see:

"Apache Karaf Cave is an Apache Karaf subproject. It provides an OSGi
Bundle Repository (OBR) and Karaf Features Repository (KFR)."

The purpose of a Karaf Features Repository (KFR) is to host non core
Karaf features, not in other project.

So, instead of org.apache.servicemix.bundles, where the Spring bundles
will stay, I would propose a org.apache.servicemix.features, acting as a
repository, wrapping different features. We would have:
- org.apache.servicemix.features/spring
- org.apache.Servicemix.features/directory
- ...

Each SMX features would have its own release cycle, and can have
branches for the different versions.

Regards
JB

--