karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Java 9 work
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2017 16:25:16 GMT
Hi Kai,

Recently, we created Jira about Java 9 target (ASM 6 update, Pax Web update, ...).

Clearly, we aim to support Java 9 for 4.2.x. I agree with you: I think an
important milestone like 4.2 is the right timing to fully support Java 9. I
would prefer to wait a couple of more weeks more than rushing without any at
least "first level" Java 9 support.

So, don't get us wrong: we are focusing on full Java 9 support asap (and so
4.2). We just hope to have core dependencies up to date.

Regards
JB

On 10/06/2017 06:14 PM, xthirtynine2007@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'd say 4.3
>
> That's no good news. The discussions in January talked about having full Java 9 support
in 4.2 (which isn't yet scheduled either, so it already requires patience from the users).

> I am aware that Karaf depends on many updates from downstream projects, but you should
also take into account that Karaf is a dependency for others and thus blocks Java 9 support
there.

> Speaking for myself, openHAB users start asking about Java 9 support and while all code
of openHAB itself seems to be ready, we cannot allow Java 9 for our users due to Karaf.

> With Java 9 GA, Java 8 has to be considered legacy - so I'd hope that Karaf will embrace
Java 9 soon. As there is no public timeline for the 4.2 release yet, what speaks against getting
this already ready for Java 9?

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org