karaf-dev mailing list archives

From "xthirtynine2007@gmail.com"<xthirtynine2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java 9 work
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2017 16:14:32 GMT
> I'd say 4.3

That's no good news. The discussions in January talked about having full Java 9 support in
4.2 (which isn't yet scheduled either, so it already requires patience from the users).

I am aware that Karaf depends on many updates from downstream projects, but you should also
take into account that Karaf is a dependency for others and thus blocks Java 9 support there.

Speaking for myself, openHAB users start asking about Java 9 support and while all code of
openHAB itself seems to be ready, we cannot allow Java 9 for our users due to Karaf.

With Java 9 GA, Java 8 has to be considered legacy - so I'd hope that Karaf will embrace Java
9 soon. As there is no public timeline for the 4.2 release yet, what speaks against getting
this already ready for Java 9?

Looking forward to updates on that (and I am definitely willing to help on testing)!

Cheers,
Kai