karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Preparing Karaf Decanter 2.0.0, Karaf Cellar 4.1.2/4.0.4, and Karaf "Container" 4.2.0
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2018 08:56:40 GMT
Hi,

it's been me asking for a bump to 7 for Pax Web when using Jetty 9.4 with
full J9 support.
I'm not that much involved in it anymore so my idea might be overruled by
anyone knowing it better.
The point for me to do a Pax Web 7, with Jetty 9.4 is:
- jetty 9.4 does have some Major changes, so isn't really minor version
compatible anymore
- jetty 9.4 is now fully functional on J9, while jetty 9.3 was working

To reflect these I requested to use version 7, and initially I thought I
would be able to actually push also on the new OSGi R7 stuff.
But I have to face it, my day job doesn't give me the freedom anymore to
actually work on any open source project right now.
The only thing I'm able to to is to watch the mailinglists and sometimes
give a hint or two :/

So feel free to call the version anything that feels better to you, I just
don't have the "stakes" at it any longer.

regards, Achim

> OK, one more thing about pax-web and pax-cdi.
>
> I tried upgrading some versions in pax-cdi and while weld / pax-cdi itself
> doesn't have problems working with ASM6 / xbean-asm6-shaded (as weld uses
> own proxy generator from JBoss classwriter), there's problem with
> openwebbeans... 1.x version is CDI 1.2, but uses xbean-asm5-shaded.
> Openwebbeans 2.x uses xbean-asm6-shaded BUT it's CDI 2.0 implementation...
>
> I don't have good solution here. pax-web 6.x already uses asm6 which seems
> to be backward (down to JDK8) compatible... I don't think dropping
> Openwebbeans 1.x support in pax-cdi 1.0.0 is good idea...
>
> regards
> Grzegorz Grzybek

> > Good idea. pax-web 7 won't differ much from 6.1, but it's ok.
> >
> > regards
> > Grzegorz Grzybek

> >> My concern is more about the Jetty 9.4 update.
> >>
> >> In that case, I would propose:
> >>
> >> 1. Bump master to Pax Web 8.0.x
> >> 2. Create a branch Pax Web 7.0.x based on 6.x
> >> 3. Upgrade to Jetty 9.4 in both master and 7.0.x branch.
> >>
> >> Thoughts ?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> JB

> >> see