karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Łukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create karaf-4.2.x branch and move master to 4.3.x supporting R7
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2018 18:12:37 GMT
I think it would be good to cut 4.1.7 release (I am actually depending
on it now). I messed up tooling in few minor releases (.5, and .6) by
single commit. After that we could let 4.1.x go into low maintenance mode.

My reasoning is that migration between minor releases of Karaf become a
problem - the buggy commit I introduced come out during migration from
4.0.8 to 4.1.4. I did an attempt last week to move back from 4.2 tooling
to 4.1 and ran into trap I left myself. I also had smaller troubles in
tooling area. My point is that some of migrations happens quite late and
not all projects are following upstream. I know they should, but
sometimes its not easy to drop one branch and switch to completely new one.

Some of ODL community members complained about migration and I think
their points are valid. Some parameters in tooling haven't been
deprecated but got renamed without notice. The only one example I can
point at this moment is 4.0 and 4.1 profilesUri which is profilesUris in
4.2.
I know its small problem and easy to fix, however things like that hit
our users much harder than us.

Cheers,
Lukasz