karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Karaf 4.3.x and resource repositories
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2018 09:45:16 GMT
I do not really understand what this approach does different to features.
Can you elaborate a bit more?

I think it would be great to go more into the direction of repositories and
features that do not have to list all bundles but only the required bundles
to let the resolver find the rest.
As far as I understand this does not require a completely new concept. It
can be done based on the current features.

Christian

Am Fr., 23. Nov. 2018 um 05:16 Uhr schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
jb@nanthrax.net>:

> Hi guys,
>
> as discussed since some weeks, Karaf 4.2.2 should be in vote in couple
> of weeks.
> I started a Karaf 4.3.x branch locally and master will become 4.3.x once
> 4.2.x branch will be created.
>
> Karaf 4.3.x will update to OSGi R7 and other major dependency updates. I
> will include a new feature/improvement in 4.3.x:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-6000
>
> Today, Karaf supports resources repositories (yaml or xml) in
> etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg. A resource repository looks a bit
> like "old" OBR: it contains resources (bundles but also config, etc)
> with associated requirements and capabilities.
> The resolver uses those requirements and capabilities to find the
> dependency resources he should install when installing a feature or a
> bundle. That's convenient and close to the "core" OSGi approach.
>
> However, the resource repositories set defined in
> etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg is static: it's loaded and evaluated
> when the features service starts, then the resolver uses it.
>
> The proposal in KARAF-6000 is to be able to update the resource
> repositories set on the fly (with dedicated commands for instance) and,
> each time the resource repositories set is modified, perform a new whole
> resolution.
> Basically, it means that only the "standard" Karaf features would be
> required at startup, the users will be able to use only resource
> repositories (not features repositories) once Karaf is started.
> I already started a PoC for KARAF-6000.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB