karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf (runtime) 4.2.7 release
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2019 12:54:25 GMT
Hi all,

finally found some time to check the release.

+1 (non-binding), see some comments of (non-major) issues I found below.

I did

- Checked all signatures and hashes
- Unzipped tar.gz (see below)
- Build karaf with instructions from README (`mvn clean install`) on macOs Mojave with java
1.8.
- Checked LICENSE and NOTICE files in all archives
- Checked no unexpected jars in the folders (see below)

Issues:
- I find the structure very confusing with providing tar.gz AND zip. Nowadays both should
work on all systems, so I suggest to reduce that
- There are many jars in the apache-karaf-4.2.7 source folder. I guess they are needed (for
what?) but I did not find any notice of those in the README or the NOTICE file. Is this not
necessary? As I was surprised to find jars in there.

Very Minor Issue:
- It was not clear for me what the source release was and what the "convenience binaries"
where. So I Suggest to state that more explicit in the Vote Mails (and later in the download
section ofc). It may be obvious for Karaf-Veterans but its confusing for newcomers (and every
project should LOVE newcomers : > )