karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quarkus Integration https://quarkus.io/
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2019 14:04:21 GMT
Hi Patrique,

I have to admit I'm not following, Quarkus is mainly a microprofile based
server integrated with GraalVM in the IBM/Redhat ecosystem to build
natively a HTTP app (for k8s).
It also supports a JVM mode but then it is like any CDI/JAXRS server.
In this last mode Karaf is already very competitive so I guess it is not
the target and in the first mode the current challenge of Graal for Karaf
(OSGi actually) is that it does not support classloading (and conflicting
API in the same application).

Concretely my point is that Karaf already supports Tomcat and Jetty (and
undertow i think) through pax-web and jersey/cxf so it already has a "lean
and efficient Java server". Add all the recent work about containerization
(static resolver, docker mojo etc) and you can couple it with "container
first framework".

Finally, still relying on the JVM enable to Karaf to be more reliable at
runtime that Quarkus in native mode which still has a poor GC
implementation (it will be enhanced but they are not yet there).

All that to say I'm not sure the outcome you expect of such a task, can you
refine it a bit maybe?

Romain Manni-Bucau