karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2019 15:15:20 GMT
Hi Romain and Francois,

thanks for the hints, will check it out and probably its still me just being to unwhise about
Karaf.

Julian

Am 30.10.19, 14:46 schrieb "Francois Papon" <francois.papon@openobject.fr>:

    Hi Julian,

    May be the things you are looking for is more like Karaf-Boot?

    https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf-boot

    regards,

    François
    fpapon@apache.org

    Le 30/10/2019 à 12:49, Julian Feinauer a écrit :
    > Hi all,
    >
    > so first, sorry fort he confusion (was typing on my mobile with brain already in
chill-mode).
    > Whenever I try to start a bundle it does not work and I get that "missing whatever"
exception.

    > In Spring I just have a set of autoconfigs and it just works.
    >
    > So the question is whether "big" features are similar to that (as it works then with
caps/reqs) or if we could go even further and have a local "repository" which, e.g. caches
tons of stuff from a source (like maven central) and looks stuff up there.

    > Is it clearer now?
    >
    > Julian
    >
    > Am 30.10.19, 06:35 schrieb "Jean-Baptiste Onofré" <jb@nanthrax.net>:
    >
    >     About spring "auto" like, in "pure" Karaf it's already possible using
    >     caps/reqs: the resolver can find in the resources repository the
    >     bundles/features providing the capability matching a requirement of your
    >     bundle/feature and then install it "automatically".
    >
    >     Regarding winegrower, as we use a single classloader, it's actually
    >     easier as it can embed the transitive dependency. It can be done at
    >     build time.
    >
    >     Not sure I fully get the question either ;)
    >
    >     Regards
    >     JB
    >
    >     On 29/10/2019 22:44, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
    >     > Hi Julian,
    >     >
    >     > Not sure I fully get the question, boot autoconfig is an activator + ioc
    >     > integration (services to simplify) so this sounds doable but not
    >     > winegrowser specific - karaf as well can benefit from the
    >     > activation/deactivation of bundles based on a simplified api/config.
    >     >
    >     > What it will not do is download and deploy a bundle for security reasons
    >     > and consistence with the flat classpath goal - the layer on top can, like
    >     > tomcat to tease one deployment env ;).
    >     >
    >     > Hope it makes sense.
    >     >
    >     > Le mar. 29 oct. 2019 à 21:43, Julian Feinauer <j.feinauer@pragmaticminds.de>
    >     > a écrit :
    >     >
    >     >> Hi folks,
    >     >>
    >     >> I do not yet fully understand the implications of that so I will have
    >     >> look at the code the next days.
    >     >>
    >     >> Regarding spring Boot like behavior... Would it be possible to auto
deploy
    >     >> all missing bundles based on a library or something like spring auto
    >     >> configuration does?
    >     >> This would really make it more easy to use bundles
    >     >>
    >     >> Julian
    >     >> ________________________________
Karaf.
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>> regards,
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>> François
    >     >>>> fpapon@apache.org
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>> Le 29/10/2019 à 10:06, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :
    >     >>>>> Hi guys,
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> For some months now, Romain and I worked on a PoC named
Winegrower.
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> Winegrower provides three modules:
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> 1. a Java runtime with OSGi programming model with a flat/single
    >     >>>>> classloader.
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> 2. Winegrower "Cepages" are extensions (similar to spring-boot
    >     >>>>> starter) that allows you to easily add flavors to your applications
    >     >>>>> running with Winegrower.
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> 3. Java agent to add winegrower at low level and get turnkey
feature
    >     >>>>> like monitoring, etc.
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> We think Winegrower would be a great addition to Karaf for
two
    >     >> reasons:
    >     >>>>> 1. It's a first implementation about a flat/single classloader
    >     >>>>> approach for OSGi. I know OSGi Alliance (and especially
Ray) is
    >     >>>>> thinking about that.
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> 2. It's a great start to provide better tooling around OSGi
and
    >     >> Karaf.
    >     >>>>> The idea is to have
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> Just to be clear, you can develop an application and test
it with
    >     >>>>> Winegrower. Then, you can run the application using a simple
JVM with