karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject [DISCUSS] Donate Winegrower as Karaf subproject, OSGi flavor with flat/single classloader runtime
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2019 09:06:21 GMT
Hi guys,

For some months now, Romain and I worked on a PoC named Winegrower.

Winegrower provides three modules:

1. a Java runtime with OSGi programming model with a flat/single
classloader.

2. Winegrower "Cepages" are extensions (similar to spring-boot starter)
that allows you to easily add flavors to your applications running with
Winegrower.

3. Java agent to add winegrower at low level and get turnkey feature
like monitoring, etc.

We think Winegrower would be a great addition to Karaf for two reasons:

1. It's a first implementation about a flat/single classloader approach
for OSGi. I know OSGi Alliance (and especially Ray) is thinking about that.

2. It's a great start to provide better tooling around OSGi and Karaf.
The idea is to have

Just to be clear, you can develop an application and test it with
Winegrower. Then, you can run the application using a simple JVM with
the Winegrower Ripener or deploy in Karaf, it's up to you, depending of
the use case.

The current Winegrower codebase is there:

https://github.com/jbonofre/winegrower

You can take a look on the README and the examples.

We also deployed a quick website: https://jbonofre.github.io/winegrower/

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB & Romain