karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Apache Karaf runtime 4.3.0 - Decision taken
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2020 06:48:47 GMT
Hi,

I fully support the decision to go for 7.3.x for now.
I'm also fully aware of the work Greg did to Pax Web and what it needs to
get finished :)
So from my point of view, this is the best we as a community can do right
now.
I wish I would be able to help Greg more than I did.
So nobody is to blame here, sometimes we have to face the facts :)

regards, Achim

Am Sa., 5. Sept. 2020 um 18:57 Uhr schrieb Francois Papon <
francois.papon@openobject.fr>:

> [...]
> >> of the ServletContextHelper") - what could possibly go wrong? :) When I
> >> checked how Pax Web 7.x (and current master branch) handles "contexts",
> >> after a few months of looking/reading at the code (started April 2019!)
> >> decided to refactor the core model of Pax Web, where each web "element"
> may
> >> be associated with one or MORE "osgi contexts" which in turn point to a
> >> single "servlet context" (in N:1) relation.
> >>
> >> I described the design in
> >>
> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Fwd-PAX-WEB-State-of-Pax-Web-8-td4058782.html
> >>
> >> So, the actual Whiteboard spec compliance is almost done and it was very
> >> deep refactoring indeed (I tried to preserve the great work of others)
> and
> >> these standard bits are missing:
> >> - tests for preprocessors (because the machinery is already there)
> >> - tests for changing registration properties of ServletContextHelper
> OSGi
> >> service
> >> - per ServletContextHelper session handling
> >>
> >> So we're very close to felix-http.
> >>
> >> The problem is that because I refactored the "core" of Pax Web so
> deeply, I
> >> still didn't touch pax-web-extender-war (though I had this component in
> >> mind in every step of the refactoring) - I don't expect BIG problems
> >> "enabling" this in Pax Web 8.
> >>
> >> I wrote about ServletContainerInitializers here:
> >>
> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/HEADS-UP-Releases-schedule-4-2-10-4-3-0-RC2-Winegrower-1-0-tp4058780p4058834.html
> >> but today I made good progress with dynamic registration of
> >> servlets/filters/listeners from within SCIs (a must-have for JSPs and
> JSFs).
> >>
> >> So we can soon release Pax Web 8 with MUCH better R6/R7 compliance but
> with
> >> missing old, commonly used Pax Web stuff (WARs...)
> >>
> >> Mind that as JBO said - there are no big differences between Whiteboard
> R6
> >> and R7 (and the annotations he's mentioned are actually not preserved at
> >> runtime! These are to be processed by APT...). The point is that Pax
> Web 7
> >> had a major problem in handling this N:1 mapping between
> >> ServletContextHelper and ServletContext and it required a total rewrite
> of
> >> the model...
> >>
> >> We can have Karaf 4.3.0 with Pax Web 7.3.x which differs from 7.2.x in
> two
> >> aspects:
> >> - Undertow 1.x → 2.0.x (Servlet API 3 → 4)
> >> - Tomcat 8 → 9 (Servlet API 3 → 4)
> >> - Jetty is not changed because the only Jetty that supports Servlet API
> 4
> >> is ... Jetty 10 which at the same time requires JDK 11.
> >>
> >> I wrote about Pax Web 7.3.x as being a "technical preview" here:
> >> https://groups.google.com/g/ops4j/c/6nF78NKs2qA/m/oRUxNtSyAQAJ
> >>
> >> I hope this clears the confusion and decreases my guilt ;)

HTTP

--

Apache Member
Project Lead