karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofre ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Disable autoRefresh on features service by default and simple optional features service
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2021 08:40:27 GMT
Yes, that’s my original  proposal as we had only one 4.3.0 release.

Regards
JB

> Le 8 janv. 2021 à 09:32, Daniel Las <daniel.las@empirica.io> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> Don't we have Karaf version 4.3.0 with autoRefresh=true by default and you propose to
change autoRefresh=false by default in 4.3.x ?

> Regards
>
> pt., 8 sty 2021 o 08:38 Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb@nanthrax.net <mailto:jb@nanthrax.net>>
napisał(a):
> Hi,
>
> I guess you didn’t read fully my message ;)
>
> My proposal is:
>
> - introduce the property and keep "true" (as it is today) on Karaf 4.2.x
> - introduce the property and set to "false" (change) on Karaf 4.3.x.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
>> Le 8 janv. 2021 à 08:16, Daniel Las <daniel.las@empirica.io <mailto:daniel.las@empirica.io>>
a écrit :

>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like some kind of backward incompatible change introduced within patch version
change. I personally would like to keep auto refresh "on" by default as this is expected/desired
behavior for me.

>> Regards
>>
>> pt., 8 sty 2021 o 07:31 Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb@nanthrax.net <mailto:jb@nanthrax.net>>
napisał(a):
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We got several user feedback, complaining about unexpected and cascaded (unrelated)
refresh while installing features.

>> As reminder, a refresh can happen when:
>> - bundle A imports package foo:1 and a bundle provides newer foo package version.
In that case, the features service will refresh A to use the newest package version.
>> - bundle A has an optional import to package foo and a bundle provides this package.
In that case, the features service will refresh A to actually use the import as it’s a "resolved"
optional.
>> - bundle A is wired to bundle B (from a package perspective or requirement) and B
is refreshed. In that case, the features service will refresh A as B is itself refreshed (for
the previous reasons for instance). This can cause "cascading" refresh.

>> A refresh means that a bundle can be restarted (if the bundle contains an activator
or similar (DS component, blueprint bundle)).

>> In this PR https://github.com/apache/karaf/pull/1287 <https://github.com/apache/karaf/pull/1287>,
I propose to introduce a new property autoRefresh in etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg to
disable the auto refresh by the features service (and let the user decides when he wants to
trigger refresh with bundle:refresh command for instance).
>> I propose to keep autoRefresh=true on 4.2.x and turn autoRefresh=false on 4.3.x.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> On the other hand (and to prepare the "path" to Karaf5), I have created a new "simple
features service" (PR will be open soon) that:

>> - just take the features definition in order (ignoring start level)
>> - ignore requirement/capability (no resolver)
>> - no auto refresh
>>
>> Basically, if you have the following feature definition:
>>
>> <feature name="foo" version="1.0">
>>   <feature>bar</feature>
>>  <bundle>A</bundle>
>>  <bundle>B</bundle>
>> </feature>
>>
>> The features service will fully install/start bar feature first, then bundle A, then
bundle B.
>> To use this "simple features services, you just have to replace org.apache.karaf.features.core
by org.apache.karaf.features.simple bundle in etc/startup.properties (or custom distribution).

>> It’s similar to the Karaf 5 extension behavior (I will share complete details about
Karaf 5 and its concepts (module, extension, …) very soon, but that’s another thread ;)).