kudu-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance Question
Date Sat, 28 May 2016 03:20:20 GMT
Hi Mike,

First of all, thanks for the link. It looks like an interesting read. I checked that Aerospike
is currently at version 3.8.2.3, and in the article, they are evaluating version 3.5.4. The
main thing that impressed me was their claim that they can beat Cassandra and HBase by 8x
for writing and 25x for reading. Their big claim to fame is that Aerospike can write 1M records
per second with only 50 nodes. I wanted to see if this is real.

To answer your questions, we have a DMP with user profiles with many attributes. We create
segmentation information off of these attributes to classify them. Then, we can target advertising
appropriately for our sales department. Much of the data processing is for applying models
on all or if not most of every profile’s attributes to find similarities (nearest neighbor/clustering)
over a large number of rows when batch processing or a small subset of rows for quick online
scoring. So, our use case is a typical advanced analytics scenario. We have tried HBase, but
it doesn’t work well for these types of analytics.

I read, that Aerospike in the release notes, they did do many improvements for batch and scan
operations.

I wonder what your thoughts are for using Kudu for this.

Thanks,
Ben

> On May 27, 2016, at 6:21 PM, Mike Percy <mpercy@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Have you considered whether you have a scan heavy or a random access heavy workload?
Have you considered whether you always access / update a whole row vs only a partial row?
Kudu is a column store so has some awesome performance characteristics when you are doing
a lot of scanning of just a couple of columns.

> I don't know the answer to your question but if your concern is performance then I would
be interested in seeing comparisons from a perf perspective on certain workloads.

> Finally, a year ago Aerospike did quite poorly in a Jepsen test: https://aphyr.com/posts/324-jepsen-aerospike
<https://aphyr.com/posts/324-jepsen-aerospike>

> I wonder if they have addressed any of those issues.
>
> Mike
>
> On Friday, May 27, 2016, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> I am just curious. How will Kudu compare with Aerospike (http://www.aerospike.com <http://www.aerospike.com/>)?
I went to a Spark Roadshow and found out about this piece of software. It appears to fit our
use case perfectly since we are an ad-tech company trying to leverage our user profiles data.
Plus, it already has a Spark connector and has a SQL-like client. The tables can be accessed
using Spark SQL DataFrames and, also, made into SQL tables for direct use with Spark SQL ODBC/JDBC
Thriftserver. I see from the work done here http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2992/ <http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2992/>
that the Spark integration is well underway and, from the looks of it lately, almost complete.
I would prefer to use Kudu since we are already a Cloudera shop, and Kudu is easy to deploy
and configure using Cloudera Manager. I also hope that some of Aerospike’s speed optimization
techniques can make it into Kudu in the future, if they have not been already thought of or
included.