kudu-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Birdsell <jordan.birdsell.k...@statefarm.com>
Subject RE: Encryption
Date Thu, 12 May 2016 23:02:20 GMT
Thanks, I’ll see if I can find some available cycles

From: Todd Lipcon [mailto:todd@cloudera.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:25 PM
To: user@kudu.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Encryption

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Jordan Birdsell <jordan.birdsell.kdvm@statefarm.com<mailto:jordan.birdsell.kdvm@statefarm.com>>
wrote:
Thanks Todd.  From a roadmap perspective, do think this will be the recommended way of enabling
encryption for Kudu or should a design be put together for something more integrated with
Kudu itself?

I think for the short term it's the best recommendation.

I do think there would be some value in a "built-in" encryption feature, for example in order
to support things like different encryption keys per column or per table, etc. It's just a
matter of prioritization and the number of people working on Kudu. If you think the dm-crypt
solution isn't sufficient for your needs, would be great to have some contributions in this
area.

-Todd