kudu-user mailing list archives

From "Chris George" <Christopher.Geo...@rms.com>
Subject Re: Sparse Data
Date Thu, 12 May 2016 21:43:04 GMT
I've used kudu with an EAV model for sparse data and that worked extremely well for us with
billions of rows and the correct partitioning.
-Chris

On 5/12/16, 3:21 PM, "Dan Burkert" <dan@cloudera.com<mailto:dan@cloudera.com>>
wrote:

Hi Ben,

Kudu doesn't support sparse datasets with many columns very well.  Kudu's data model looks
much more like the relational, structured data model of a traditional SQL database than HBase's
data model.  Kudu doesn't yet have a map column type (or any nested column types), but we
do have BINARY typed columns if you can handle your own serialization. Oftentimes, however,
it's better to restructure the data so that it can fit Kudu's structure better.  If you can
give more information about your usage patterns (especially details queries you wish to optimize
for) I can perhaps give better info.

- Dan

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com<mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>