kudu-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark on Kudu
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 23:01:49 GMT
I encountered an error trying to create a table based on the documentation from a DataFrame.

<console>:49: error: not found: type CreateTableOptions
              kuduContext.createTable(tableName, df.schema, Seq("key"), new CreateTableOptions().setNumReplicas(1))

Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks,
Ben

> On Jun 14, 2016, at 3:00 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org> wrote:
>
> It's only in Cloudera's maven repo: https://repository.cloudera.com/cloudera/cloudera-repos/org/kududb/kudu-spark_2.10/0.9.0/
<https://repository.cloudera.com/cloudera/cloudera-repos/org/kududb/kudu-spark_2.10/0.9.0/>

> J-D
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Hi J-D,
>
> I installed Kudu 0.9.0 using CM, but I can’t find the kudu-spark jar for spark-shell
to use. Can you show me where to find it?

<mailto:Christopher.George@rms.com>> wrote:

> [...]
will also allow the creation and deletion of tables from a dataframe

implement similar functionality through the api.

gerrit if you want to take a look. http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2754/ <http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2754/>

for spark that will have pushdown predicates and insertion/update functionality (need to look
more at cassandra and the hbase datasource for best way to do this) I agree that server side
upsert would be helpful.

1. We have had trouble getting impala to run fast with high concurrency when compared to spark
2. We interact with datasources which do not integrate with impala. 3. We have custom sql
query planners for extended sql functionality.

need more support from the servers. Right now all you can do is an INSERT then, if you get
a dup key, do an UPDATE. I guess we could at least add an API on the client side that would
manage it, but it wouldn't be atomic.

<mailto:mark@clearstorydata.com>> wrote:
> [...]
in a Spark SQL environment.  Instead of a hack on top of a Parquet data store, I'm hoping
(among other reasons) to be able to use Kudu's write and timestamp-based read operations to
support not only appending data, but also updating existing data, and even some schema migration.
 The most typical use case is a dataset that is updated periodically (e.g., weekly or monthly)
in which the the preliminary data in the previous window (week or month) is updated with values
that are expected to remain unchanged from then on, and a new set of preliminary values for
the current window need to be added/appended.

top of what Kudu has to offer isn't too much to ask, but the ease of integration with Spark
SQL will gate how quickly we would move to using Kudu and how seriously we'd look at alternatives
before making that decision.

a refactoring of some Spark SQL-oriented insert functionality while trying to evaluate what
to expect from Kudu.  Whether Kudu does a good job supporting inserts with Spark SQL will
be a key consideration as to whether we adopt Kudu.

you. Is it just that you currently do it that way into some database or parquet so with minimal
refactoring you'd be able to use Kudu? Would re-writing those SQL lines into Scala and directly
use the Java API's KuduSession be too much work?

current solution? If it's not completely clear, I'd love to help you think through it.

to Spark? A SparkSQL integration that's as fully featured as Impala's? Do they care being
able to insert into Kudu with SparkSQL or just being able to query real fast? Anything more
specific to Spark that I'm missing?

all our resources are committed to making things happen in time, and a more fully featured
Spark integration isn't in our plans during that period. I'm really hoping someone in the
community will help with Spark, the same way we got a big contribution for the Flume sink.

since it’s not “production-ready”, upper management doesn’t want to fully deploy it
yet. They just want to keep an eye on it though. Kudu was so much simpler and easier to use
in every aspect compared to HBase. Impala was great for the report writers and analysts to
experiment with for the short time it was up. But, once again, the only blocker was the lack
of Spark support for our Data Developers/Scientists. So, production-level data population
won’t happen until then.

hot data store to ensure that duplicates are taken care of and idempotency is maintained.
Whether data was directly retrieved from Cassandra for analytics, reports, or searches, it
was not clear as to what was its main use. Some also just used it for a staging area to populate
downstream tables in parquet format. The last thing I heard was that CQL was terrible, so
that rules out much use of direct queries against it.

just ease of use instead of plainly using the APIs. Even then, Kudu should beat it easily
on big scans. Same for HBase. We've done benchmarks against the latter, not the former.

store for a long time that can be quickly queried directly either using Spark SQL or Impala
or some other SQL engine and still handle TB or PB of data without performance degradation
and many configuration headaches. For now, we are using HBase to take on this role with Phoenix
as a fast way to directly query the data. I can see Kudu as the best way to fill this gap
easily, especially being the closest thing to other relational databases out there in familiarity
for the many SQL analytics people in our company. The other alternative would be to go with
AWS Redshift for the same reasons, but it would come at a cost, of course. If we went with
either solutions, Kudu or Redshift, it would get rid of the need to extract from HBase to
parquet tables or export to PostgreSQL to support more of the SQL language using by analysts
or the reporting software we use..

with Kudu. Have you folks tried Kudu with Impala yet with those use cases?

like to refer to "Impala + Kudu" as Kimpala, but yeah it's not as sexy. My colleagues who
were also there did say that the hype around Spark isn't dying down.

HBase, and Kudu cater to. I wouldn't go as far as saying that C* is just an interim solution
for the use case you describe.

it's a storage engine so things move slowly *smile*. I'd love to see more contributions on
the Spark front. I know there's code out there that could be integrated in kudu-spark, it
just needs to land in gerrit. I'm sure folks will happily review it.

to learn more about the use cases for which you envision using Kudu as a C* replacement.

They told me that everything was about Spark and there is a big buzz about the SMACK stack
(Spark, Mesos, Akka, Cassandra, Kafka). I still think that Cassandra is just an interim solution
as a low-latency, easily queried data store. I was wondering if anything significant happened
in regards to Kudu, especially on the Spark front. Plus, can you come up with your own proposed
stack acronym to promote?

I know of one person on the Kudu Slack who's working on a better RDD, but that's about it.

<mailto:bkim@amobee.com>> wrote:
> [...]
to target a version of Kudu to begin real testing of Spark against it for our devs. At least,
I can tell them what timeframe to anticipate.

90405  |  www.amobee.com <http://www.amobee.com/>

ideally we'd use scans directly.

sort of pushdown. It's really basic.

to. We have some basic unit tests that others can easily extend. None of us on the team are
Spark experts, but we'd be really happy to assist one improve the kudu-spark code.

(kudu RDD, kudu DStream) in KUDU-1214. Am I right? Besides shoring up more Spark SQL functionality
(Dataframes) and doing the documentation, what more needs to be done? Optimizations?

Spark with Kudu and compare it to HBase with Spark (not clean).

to get this in for 0.7.0: https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1321 <https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1321>

use SparkSQL on Kudu, but it will require a lot more work to make it fast/useful.

targeted for 0.8.0, but I see no progress on it. When this is complete, will this mean that
Spark will be able to work with Kudu both programmatically and as a client via Spark SQL?
Or is there more work that needs to be done on the Spark side for it to work?