kudu-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark on Kudu
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2016 17:20:27 GMT
I am assuming that more Spark support along with semantic changes below will be incorporated
into Kudu 0.9.1.

Anyone know of a better way to make unique primary keys other than using UUID to make every
row unique if there is no unique column (or combination thereof) to use.

import java.util.UUID
val generateUUID = udf(() => UUID.randomUUID().toString)

This is what I am using. I know auto incrementing is coming down the line (don’t know when),
but is there a way to simulate this in Kudu using Spark out of curiosity?

Thanks,
Ben

> On Jun 14, 2016, at 6:08 PM, Dan Burkert <dan@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure exactly what the semantics will be, but at least one of them will be upsert.
 These modes come from spark, and they were really designed for file-backed storage and not
table storage.  We may want to do append = upsert, and overwrite = truncate + insert.  I think
that may match the normal spark semantics more closely.

> - Dan
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for the information. That would mean both “append” and “overwrite” modes
would be combined or not needed in the future.

> Cheers,
> Ben
>
>> On Jun 14, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Dan Burkert <dan@cloudera.com <mailto:dan@cloudera.com>>
wrote:

>> Right now append uses an update Kudu operation, which requires the row already be
present in the table. Overwrite maps to insert.  Kudu very recently got upsert support baked
in, but it hasn't yet been integrated into the Spark connector.  So pretty soon these sharp
edges will get a lot better, since upsert is the way to go for most spark workloads.

>> - Dan
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> I tried to use the “append” mode, and it worked. Over 3.8 million rows in 64s.
I would assume that now I can use the “overwrite” mode on existing data. Now, I have to
find answers to these questions. What would happen if I “append” to the data in the Kudu
table if the data already exists? What would happen if I “overwrite” existing data when
the DataFrame has data in it that does not exist in the Kudu table? I need to evaluate the
best way to simulate the UPSERT behavior in HBase because this is what our use case is.

>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>

>>> On Jun 14, 2016, at 5:05 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Now, I’m getting this error when trying to write to the table.
>>>
>>> import scala.collection.JavaConverters._
>>> val key_seq = Seq(“my_id")
>>> val key_list = List(“my_id”).asJava
>>> kuduContext.createTable(tableName, df.schema, key_seq, new CreateTableOptions().setNumReplicas(1).addHashPartitions(key_list,
100))

>>> df.write
>>>     .options(Map("kudu.master" -> kuduMaster,"kudu.table" -> tableName))
>>>     .mode("overwrite")
>>>     .kudu
>>>
>>> java.lang.RuntimeException: failed to write 1000 rows from DataFrame to Kudu;
sample errors: Not found: key not found (error 0)Not found: key not found (error 0)Not found:
key not found (error 0)Not found: key not found (error 0)Not found: key not found (error 0)

>>> Does the key field need to be first in the DataFrame?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ben

in the DataFrame and set the partitioning? Is it like this?

using setRangePartitionColumns or addHashPartitions

key columns, so in this case you have specified the single PK column "my_id".  The `addHashPartitions`
call adds hash partitioning to the table, in this case over the column "my_id" (which is good,
it must be over one or more PK columns, so in this case "my_id" is the one and only valid
combination).  However, the call to `addHashPartition` also takes the number of buckets as
the second param.  You shouldn't get the IllegalArgumentException as long as you are specifying
either `addHashPartitions` or `setRangePartitionColumns`.

<mailto:jdcryans@apache.org>> wrote:

<https://repository.cloudera.com/cloudera/cloudera-repos/org/kududb/kudu-spark_2.10/0.9.0/>

jar for spark-shell to use. Can you show me where to find it?

<mailto:Christopher.George@rms.com>> wrote:

> [...]
datasource api. It will also allow the creation and deletion of tables from a dataframe

<http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2992/5/docs/developing.adoc>

but we may be able to implement similar functionality through the api.

for an “upsert” if it were to be implemented.

...]
[, value2 …])

ago. I pushed it into gerrit if you want to take a look. http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2754/
<http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2754/>
input formatter based rdd does not.

a datasource for spark that will have pushdown predicates and insertion/update functionality
(need to look more at cassandra and the hbase datasource for best way to do this) I agree
that server side upsert would be helpful.
frames and also make spark sql usable for kudu.

not using Impala is: 1. We have had trouble getting impala to run fast with high concurrency
when compared to spark 2. We interact with datasources which do not integrate with impala.
3. We have custom sql query planners for extended sql functionality.

the upsert side we'll need more support from the servers. Right now all you can do is an INSERT
then, if you get a dup key, do an UPDATE. I guess we could at least add an API on the client
side that would manage it, but it wouldn't be atomic.

<mark@clearstorydata.com <mailto:mark@clearstorydata.com>> wrote:
> [...]
versioned datasets in a Spark SQL environment.  Instead of a hack on top of a Parquet data
store, I'm hoping (among other reasons) to be able to use Kudu's write and timestamp-based
read operations to support not only appending data, but also updating existing data, and even
some schema migration.  The most typical use case is a dataset that is updated periodically
(e.g., weekly or monthly) in which the the preliminary data in the previous window (week or
month) is updated with values that are expected to remain unchanged from then on, and a new
set of preliminary values for the current window need to be added/appended.

functionality on top of what Kudu has to offer isn't too much to ask, but the ease of integration
with Spark SQL will gate how quickly we would move to using Kudu and how seriously we'd look
at alternatives before making that decision.

thread, glad it caught the attention of other folks!

SparkSQL

 I'm currently delaying a refactoring of some Spark SQL-oriented insert functionality while
trying to evaluate what to expect from Kudu.  Whether Kudu does a good job supporting inserts
with Spark SQL will be a key consideration as to whether we adopt Kudu.

in necessary for you. Is it just that you currently do it that way into some database or parquet
so with minimal refactoring you'd be able to use Kudu? Would re-writing those SQL lines into
Scala and directly use the Java API's KuduSession be too much work?

using Kudu VS your current solution? If it's not completely clear, I'd love to help you think
through it.

functionality related to Spark? A SparkSQL integration that's as fully featured as Impala's?
Do they care being able to insert into Kudu with SparkSQL or just being able to query real
fast? Anything more specific to Spark that I'm missing?

Fall. At Cloudera all our resources are committed to making things happen in time, and a more
fully featured Spark integration isn't in our plans during that period. I'm really hoping
someone in the community will help with Spark, the same way we got a big contribution for
the Flume sink.

0.7 versions. But, since it’s not “production-ready”, upper management doesn’t want
to fully deploy it yet. They just want to keep an eye on it though. Kudu was so much simpler
and easier to use in every aspect compared to HBase. Impala was great for the report writers
and analysts to experiment with for the short time it was up. But, once again, the only blocker
was the lack of Spark support for our Data Developers/Scientists. So, production-level data
population won’t happen until then.

coming from…

used as an updatable hot data store to ensure that duplicates are taken care of and idempotency
is maintained. Whether data was directly retrieved from Cassandra for analytics, reports,
or searches, it was not clear as to what was its main use. Some also just used it for a staging
area to populate downstream tables in parquet format. The last thing I heard was that CQL
was terrible, so that rules out much use of direct queries against it.

meant for real analytics, just ease of use instead of plainly using the APIs. Even then, Kudu
should beat it easily on big scans. Same for HBase. We've done benchmarks against the latter,
not the former.

for an updatable data store for a long time that can be quickly queried directly either using
Spark SQL or Impala or some other SQL engine and still handle TB or PB of data without performance
degradation and many configuration headaches. For now, we are using HBase to take on this
role with Phoenix as a fast way to directly query the data. I can see Kudu as the best way
to fill this gap easily, especially being the closest thing to other relational databases
out there in familiarity for the many SQL analytics people in our company. The other alternative
would be to go with AWS Redshift for the same reasons, but it would come at a cost, of course.
If we went with either solutions, Kudu or Redshift, it would get rid of the need to extract
from HBase to parquet tables or export to PostgreSQL to support more of the SQL language using
by analysts or the reporting software we use..

not too far off with Kudu. Have you folks tried Kudu with Impala yet with those use cases?

Inside Cloudera we like to refer to "Impala + Kudu" as Kimpala, but yeah it's not as sexy.
My colleagues who were also there did say that the hype around Spark isn't dying down.

use cases that Cassandra, HBase, and Kudu cater to. I wouldn't go as far as saying that C*
is just an interim solution for the use case you describe.

over the past month, it's a storage engine so things move slowly *smile*. I'd love to see
more contributions on the Spark front. I know there's code out there that could be integrated
in kudu-spark, it just needs to land in gerrit. I'm sure folks will happily review it.

can share? I'd love to learn more about the use cases for which you envision using Kudu as
a C* replacement.

Strata in San Jose. They told me that everything was about Spark and there is a big buzz about
the SMACK stack (Spark, Mesos, Akka, Cassandra, Kafka). I still think that Cassandra is just
an interim solution as a low-latency, easily queried data store. I was wondering if anything
significant happened in regards to Kudu, especially on the Spark front. Plus, can you come
up with your own proposed stack acronym to promote?

committed to any timeline. I know of one person on the Kudu Slack who's working on a better
RDD, but that's about it.

Benjamin Kim <bkim@amobee.com <mailto:bkim@amobee.com>> wrote:
> [...]
for KUDU-1214? I want to target a version of Kudu to begin real testing of Spark against it
for our devs. At least, I can tell them what timeframe to anticipate.

digital marketing.

|  Santa Monica, CA 90405  |  www.amobee.com <http://www.amobee.com/>

at all. I'm not sure if it's needed either.

the MR input format, ideally we'd use scans directly.

it doesn't do any sort of pushdown. It's really basic.

for others to contribute to. We have some basic unit tests that others can easily extend.
None of us on the team are Spark experts, but we'd be really happy to assist one improve the
kudu-spark code.

of the basic requirements (kudu RDD, kudu DStream) in KUDU-1214. Am I right? Besides shoring
up more Spark SQL functionality (Dataframes) and doing the documentation, what more needs
to be done? Optimizations?

place to start using Spark with Kudu and compare it to HBase with Spark (not clean).

it, but we did manage to get this in for 0.7.0: https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1321
<https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1321>

and yes you can use SparkSQL on Kudu, but it will require a lot more work to make it fast/useful.

targeted for 0.8.0, but I see no progress on it. When this is complete, will this mean that
Spark will be able to work with Kudu both programmatically and as a client via Spark SQL?
Or is there more work that needs to be done on the Spark side for it to work?