kudu-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance Question
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 19:14:23 GMT
Todd,

I upgraded, deleted the table and recreated it again because it was unaccessible, and re-introduced
the downed tablet server after clearing out all kudu directories.

The Spark Streaming job is repopulating again.

Thanks,
Ben

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Todd,
>
> Thanks for the info. I was going to upgrade after the testing, but now, it looks like
I will have to do it earlier than expected.

> I will do the upgrade, then resume.
>
> OK, sounds good. The upgrade shouldn't invalidate any performance testing or anything
-- just fixes this important bug.

> -Todd
>

>> On Jul 18, 2016, at 10:29 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com <mailto:todd@cloudera.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> Any chance that you are running Kudu 0.9.0 instead of 0.9.1? There's a known serious
bug in 0.9.0 which can cause this kind of corruption.

>> Assuming that you are running with replication count 3 this time, you should be able
to move aside that tablet metadata file and start the server. It will recreate a new repaired
replica automatically.

>> -Todd
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> During my re-population of the Kudu table, I am getting this error trying to restart
a tablet server after it went down. The job that populates this table has been running for
over a week.

>> [libprotobuf ERROR google/protobuf/message_lite.cc:123] Can't parse message of type
"kudu.tablet.TabletSuperBlockPB" because it is missing required fields: rowsets[2324].columns[15].block
>> F0718 17:01:26.783571   468 tablet_server_main.cc:55] Check failed: _s.ok() Bad status:
IO error: Could not init Tablet Manager: Failed to open tablet metadata for tablet: 24637ee6f3e5440181ce3f20b1b298ba:
Failed to load tablet metadata for tablet id 24637ee6f3e5440181ce3f20b1b298ba: Could not load
tablet metadata from /mnt/data1/kudu/data/tablet-meta/24637ee6f3e5440181ce3f20b1b298ba: Unable
to parse PB from path: /mnt/data1/kudu/data/tablet-meta/24637ee6f3e5440181ce3f20b1b298ba
>> *** Check failure stack trace: ***
>>     @           0x7d794d  google::LogMessage::Fail()
>>     @           0x7d984d  google::LogMessage::SendToLog()
>>     @           0x7d7489  google::LogMessage::Flush()
>>     @           0x7da2ef  google::LogMessageFatal::~LogMessageFatal()
>>     @           0x78172b  (unknown)
>>     @       0x344d41ed5d  (unknown)
>>     @           0x7811d1  (unknown)
>>
>> Does anyone know what this means?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>

>>> On Jul 11, 2016, at 10:47 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com <mailto:todd@cloudera.com>>
wrote:

>>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Todd,
>>>
>>> I had it at one replica. Do I have to recreate?
>>>
>>> We don't currently have the ability to "accept data loss" on a tablet (or set
of tablets). If the machine is gone for good, then currently the only easy way to recover
is to recreate the table. If this sounds really painful, though, maybe we can work up some
kind of tool you could use to just recreate the missing tablets (with those rows lost).

>>> -Todd

I decommissioned it and removed it from the cluster. Then, I restarted Kudu because I was
getting a timeout  exception trying to do counts on the table. Now, when I try again. I get
the same error.

0.0 (TID 603, prod-dc1-datanode167.pdc1i.gradientx.com <http://prod-dc1-datanode167.pdc1i.gradientx.com/>):
com.stumbleupon.async.TimeoutException: Timed out after 30000ms when joining Deferred@712342716(state=PAUSED,
result=Deferred@1765902299, callback=passthrough -> scanner opened -> wakeup thread
Executor task launch worker-2, errback=openScanner errback -> passthrough -> wakeup
thread Executor task launch worker-2)

few days to get to 1B rows. I still get consistent times ~15s for doing row counts despite
the amount of data growing.

their product. They claim to be the “Spark Data Store” with tight integration with Spark
executors. It claims to be an OLTP and OLAP system with being an in-memory data store first
then to disk. After going to several Spark events, it would seem that this is the new “hot”
area for vendors. They all (MemSQL, Redis, Aerospike, Datastax, etc.) claim to be the best
"Spark Data Store”. I’m wondering if Kudu will become this too? With the performance I’ve
seen so far, it would seem that it can be a contender. All that is needed is a hardened Spark
connector package, I would think. The next evaluation I will be conducting is to see if SnappyData’s
claims are valid by doing my own tests.

of analysis and thorough benchmarking, but it is certainly a goal of Kudu to be a great platform
for ingesting and analyzing data through Spark.  Up till this point most of the Spark work
has been community driven, but more thorough integration testing of the Spark connector is
going to be a focus going forward.

more custom? rdd or data frame or SQL, etc? Maybe you can share the schema and some queries

impressed. Compared to HBase, read and write performance are better. Write performance has
the greatest improvement (> 4x), while read is > 1.5x. Albeit, these are only preliminary
tests. Do you know of a way to really do some conclusive tests? I want to see if I can match
your results on my 50 node cluster.

out by Aerospike. Do you have any performance statistics published or any instructions as
to measure them myself as good way to test? In addition, this will be a test using Spark,
so should I wait for Kudu version 0.9.0 where support will be built in?

the write side. I've found that thorough cross-system benchmarks are very difficult to do
fairly and accurately, and often times users end up misguided if they pay too much attention
to them :) So, given a finite number of developers working on Kudu, I think we've tended to
spend more time on the project itself and less time focusing on "competition". I'm sure there
are use cases where Kudu will beat out Aerospike, and probably use cases where Aerospike will
beat Kudu as well.

details of your workload, especially if there are some areas you're finding Kudu lacking.
Maybe we can spot some easy code changes we could make to improve performance, or suggest
a tuning variable you could change.

read. I checked that Aerospike is currently at version 3.8.2.3, and in the article, they are
evaluating version 3.5.4. The main thing that impressed me was their claim that they can beat
Cassandra and HBase by 8x for writing and 25x for reading. Their big claim to fame is that
Aerospike can write 1M records per second with only 50 nodes. I wanted to see if this is real.

as well, depending on the size of your records and the insertion order. I've been playing
with a ~70 node cluster recently and seen 1M+ writes/second sustained, and bursting above
4M. These are 1KB rows with 11 columns, and with pretty old HDD-only nodes. I think newer
flash-based nodes could do better.

with many attributes. We create segmentation information off of these attributes to classify
them. Then, we can target advertising appropriately for our sales department. Much of the
data processing is for applying models on all or if not most of every profile’s attributes
to find similarities (nearest neighbor/clustering) over a large number of rows when batch
processing or a small subset of rows for quick online scoring. So, our use case is a typical
advanced analytics scenario. We have tried HBase, but it doesn’t work well for these types
of analytics.

many improvements for batch and scan operations.

things about Aerospike for the low latency random access portion, but I've also heard that
it's _very_ expensive, and not particularly suited to the columnar scan workload. Lastly,
I think the Apache license of Kudu is much more appealing than the AGPL3 used by Aerospike.
But, that's not really a direct answer to the performance question :)

<mailto:mpercy@cloudera.com>> wrote:

> [...]
a random access heavy workload? Have you considered whether you always access / update a whole
row vs only a partial row? Kudu is a column store so has some awesome performance characteristics
when you are doing a lot of scanning of just a couple of columns.

concern is performance then I would be interested in seeing comparisons from a perf perspective
on certain workloads.

test: https://aphyr.com/posts/324-jepsen-aerospike <https://aphyr.com/posts/324-jepsen-aerospike>

(http://www.aerospike.com <http://www.aerospike.com/>)? I went to a Spark Roadshow and
found out about this piece of software. It appears to fit our use case perfectly since we
are an ad-tech company trying to leverage our user profiles data. Plus, it already has a Spark
connector and has a SQL-like client. The tables can be accessed using Spark SQL DataFrames
and, also, made into SQL tables for direct use with Spark SQL ODBC/JDBC Thriftserver. I see
from the work done here http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2992/ <http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2992/>
that the Spark integration is well underway and, from the looks of it lately, almost complete.
I would prefer to use Kudu since we are already a Cloudera shop, and Kudu is easy to deploy
and configure using Cloudera Manager. I also hope that some of Aerospike’s speed optimization
techniques can make it into Kudu in the future, if they have not been already thought of or
included.