kudu-user mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Performance Question
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2016 20:59:30 GMT
Hey Ben,

Thanks a lot for writing up your experiences. Posts like this are useful
for us on the dev side to help prioritize our work and understand the user
experience more, so we really appreciate it! A couple comments inline below:

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like my time is up on evaluating Kudu. To summarize, it looks
> very promising and a very likely candidate for use in production many of
> our use cases. The performance is outstanding compared to other solutions
> this far. Along with the simplicity of installation, setup, and
> configuration, this already puts many worries at ease. Here is a list of my
> conclusions.
>

>    - Even at close to 1B rows on a 15 node cluster (24 cores, 64GB
>    memory, 12TB storage), performance did degrade by at most 30% at times but
>    mostly remained inline with the numbers below 80% of the time. The only
>    problem I did encounter was a timeout UPSERTing data into the table once we
>    hit >850M rows. This was due to a memory limit being hit. With proper
>    configuration, this can be avoided. Maybe, this can be a self tuning
>    feature based on table statistics?
>
> I think it would be a bit error prone to auto-tune the memory limit, since
we don't really know how much memory the operator wants to devote to Kudu.
We could certainly just expand our memory usage arbitrarily large, but then
the system might end up swapping and causing timeouts for other reasons,
impacting other apps, etc.

I think one area we could make an improvement here would be in external
deployment/alerting tools. For example for CM users perhaps we could add an
alert which checks for a high percentage of memory-limit rejections (there
are metrics capturing this already available under the "Performance" tab in
the charts library IIRC)

>    - The current implementation of the Spark connector is sufficient for
>    most, but it still can be improved and fully featured to match other
>    connectors for other data stores out there. Full Spark SQL/DataFrame
>    capabilities would be very welcome. I know this will come in time.

Yep, this is an area that we know we can continue to improve. Which
specific capabilities did you find most lacking? Would be great to get them
filed as new feature JIRAs and prioritized for upcoming releases. If you
and your team are interested, we'd love more contributors in this area as
well (most of us currently working on Kudu aren't Spark experts so could
use the help)

-Todd

> [...]
>>
>> 16/07/27 00:04:58 WARN scheduler.TaskSetManager: Lost task 0.0 in stage
>> 17.0 (TID 87, prod-dc1-datanode163.pdc1i.gradientx.com):
>> com.stumbleupon.async.TimeoutException: Timed out after 30000ms when
>> joining Deferred@1592877776(state=PENDING, result=null,
>> callback=org.kududb.client.AsyncKuduSession$ConvertBatchToListOfResponsesCB@154c94f8
>> -> wakeup thread Executor task launch worker-2, errback=passthrough ->
>> wakeup thread Executor task launch worker-2)
>> at com.stumbleupon.async.Deferred.doJoin(Deferred.java:1177)
>> at com.stumbleupon.async.Deferred.join(Deferred.java:1045)
>> at org.kududb.client.KuduSession.close(KuduSession.java:110)
>> at org.kududb.spark.kudu.KuduContext.writeRows(KuduContext.scala:181)
>> at
>> org.kududb.spark.kudu.KuduContext$$anonfun$writeRows$1.apply(KuduContext.scala:131)
>> at
>> org.kududb.spark.kudu.KuduContext$$anonfun$writeRows$1.apply(KuduContext.scala:130)
>> at
>> org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$foreachPartition$1$$anonfun$apply$33.apply(RDD.scala:920)
>> at
>> org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$foreachPartition$1$$anonfun$apply$33.apply(RDD.scala:920)
>> at
>> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$runJob$5.apply(SparkContext.scala:1869)
>> at
>> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$runJob$5.apply(SparkContext.scala:1869)
>> at org.apache.spark.scheduler.ResultTask.runTask(ResultTask.scala:66)
>> at org.apache.spark.scheduler.Task.run(Task.scala:89)
>> at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner.run(Executor.scala:214)
>> at
>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
>> at
>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>

>> On Jul 18, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Todd,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info. I was going to upgrade after the testing, but now,
>>> it looks like I will have to do it earlier than expected.
>>>
>>> I will do the upgrade, then resume.
>>>

>> OK, sounds good. The upgrade shouldn't invalidate any performance testing
>> or anything -- just fixes this important bug.
>>
>> -Todd
>>

>>> On Jul 18, 2016, at 10:29 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ben,
>>>
>>> Any chance that you are running Kudu 0.9.0 instead of 0.9.1? There's a
>>> known serious bug in 0.9.0 which can cause this kind of corruption.
>>>
>>> Assuming that you are running with replication count 3 this time, you
>>> should be able to move aside that tablet metadata file and start the
>>> server. It will recreate a new repaired replica automatically.

OLAP system
claim to be

 Up

I am