kudu-user mailing list archives

From James Pirz <james.p...@gmail.com>
Subject RLE encoding limitation
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2016 21:19:08 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to use RLE-encoding in Kudu with fixed bit-width values. I am
specifically dealing with uint64 values which are supposed to be 64-bit
long. I realized that the code under BitWriter (which is used in flushing
RLE runs) only handles values up to 32-bit values:

inline void BitWriter::PutValue(uint64_t v, int num_bits) {
        // TODO: revisit this limit if necessary (can be raised to 64 by
fixing some edge cases)
        DCHECK_LE(num_bits, 32);

Can you please verify if indeed such a limitation exists in Kudu for RLE
encoding (i.e. it can not be applied to fixed size values longer than 32
bits) and if yes is there a work around for that ?
(I also checked RLE code in Impala and parquet-cpp which share the RLE code
and they seem to have the same limitation).

Thanks