kudu-user mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Delete row by partial key
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2017 07:18:41 GMT
On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Paul Brannan <paul.brannan@thesystech.com>
wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response!
>
> I do understand the desire to not present in the API the appearance of a
> feature that isn't really there.  As an example, I was reading KUDU-1291
> yesterday and realized that since predicates are specified by name and not
> column index, it's easy to accidentally construct an inefficient scan by
> omitting the first component of the key.  It's not surprising given how
> kudu works, but it's not obvious just by looking at the API.
>
> I would like to contribute a patch, though I would like to learn more
> about kudu before I feel comfortable.  In this case, for example, my naive
> solution may work, but isn't very robust -- since it has to switch on the
> data type of each cell, it will fail when new data types are added.

I don't think that's too bad - we have lots of places where we have to add
a new case label when a new type is added, so what's one more? :)

>   I have a hunch it's possible to copy row_data_ directly somehow, but I
> have no idea how to correctly set isset_bitmap_ or owned_strings_bitmap_.

"isset_bitmap_" should probably be set based on the projected columns of
the scanner.
"owned_stirngs_bitmap_" indicates which strings in the row are "owned" by
the PartialRow rather than "referenced". I think to make this API safe,
we'd probably want to clone all of the string data, which would imply
setting owned_strings_bitmap_ to 1 bits for those strings.

Hope that helps
-Todd