kudu-user mailing list archives

From Mike Percy <mpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Kudu on top of Alluxio
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2017 21:54:56 GMT
Kudu currently relies on local storage on a POSIX file system. Right now there is no support
for S3, which would be interesting but is non-trivial in certain ways (particularly if we
wanted to rely on S3's replication and disable Kudu's app-level replication).

I would suggest using only either EXT4 or XFS file systems for production deployments as of
Kudu 1.3, in a JBOD configuration, with one SSD per machine for the WAL and with the data
disks on either SATA or SSD drives depending on the workload. Anything else is untested AFAIK.

As for Alluxio, I haven't heard of people using it for permanent storage and since Kudu has
its own block cache I don't think it would really help with caching. Also I don't recall Tachyon
providing POSIX semantics.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone