kudu-user mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Question about redistributing tablets on failure of a tserver.
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2017 05:29:31 GMT
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Jason Heo <jason.heo.sde@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan.
>
> I'm very happy to hear from you. Kudu is REALLY GREAT!

Thanks for the excitement! It's always great to hear when people are happy
with the project.

> About Q2:
>
> There are 14 tservers on my test cluster, each node has 3TB before
> re-replication and evenly distributed. Network bandwidth is 1Gbps.
>
> I have another question.
>
> Is it possible to re-replication cancel if failed tserver joins while
> re-replication goes on? re-joined tserver already has all data so I think
> re-replication is unnecessary and re-replication is a waste of time and
> resources. (This is what Elasticsearch behaves)

Yes, that's definitely something we'd like to do in the near future.

Right now our design is that when the leader notices a bad replica, it
ejects it from the Raft configuration, so we have a 2-node configuration.
We then immediately add a new replica and start making a tablet copy to it,
which may take some time with large tablets. During that time, if the old
node comes back, it is no longer part of the configuration and can't rejoin.

Mike Percy has started looking into changing the design to do something
more like:

- Original 3 nodes: A, B, C = VOTER
- node C dies
- add node D as a NON_VOTER/PRE_VOTER, and start the tablet copy
- if node C comes back up, remove D and cancel the tablet copy
- if node C is still not up when 'D' is available, evict C and convert D to
VOTER

Implementation isn't begun yet, but hopefully we can get this done in the
next couple of months (eg 1.4 or 1.5 release time line)

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera