logging-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Schöning <tschoen...@am-soft.de>
Subject Re: [log4cxx] Current State
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2018 12:36:15 GMT
Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
am Samstag, 20. Januar 2018 um 04:00 schrieben Sie:

> As prompted by the discussion last week about the state of log4cxx, is
> there a current blocker(apart from Thorsten's time) halting a release
> of log4cxx/regular maintenance?

The PGP-keys of whoever is releasing need to be added to the following
file BEFORE actually releasing. Don't know who is allowed to do that
under which circumstances, regarding web-of-trust and all that.

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/logging/KEYS

Releases need to be published in the dist-repo in the end and I don't
know how that is organized as well. Somewhere in the Apache docs I've
read that only PMCs are allowed to do that?

Actually doing a release seemed pretty complicated to me, therefore I
created the branch "release_scripts" to document/automate what I know
needs to be done. Those scripts are capable of creating a release
branch, handling version numbers, Maven stuff and publishing signed
artifacts to vote on in "dist-dev". Not sure currently if I already
addressed site commits and the stuff after a vote has passed, like
moving artifacts from "dist-dev" to "dist", is not handled/documented
yet.

Handling of LT_VERSION is still unclear to me, I tend to simply
increase it by one like was done in the past and add that to the
release scripts I've created. While that might be logically wrong, it
would work always without breaking anything.

So in the end, getting to the point to vote on a release is pretty
close, everything afterwards is still somewhat unknown to me and in
general, I'm not familiar with such complex release processes. The
only thing I do in my projects is merging between branches without the
need to ask anyone for anything, because there's no one else. ;-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88