logging-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Schöning <tschoen...@am-soft.de>
Subject Re: [log4cxx] State of this project?
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2018 16:21:20 GMT
Guten Tag James E. King, III,
am Donnerstag, 11. Januar 2018 um 16:25 schrieben Sie:

> I have used log4cxx for a number of years and the last official release was
> 7 years ago.  There was an effort to make a 0.11.x release in October but I
> don't see the result of that,

There is none currently.

> plus it looks like all Windows based build
> projects and tools have been removed from the trunk.

I'm somewhat sure they have never been in trunk, but only in the
release package and have been generated during the release process. If
you look at the following packages, some generated projects are still
available:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/logging/log4cxx/

But keep in mind that those project files are generated using some 3rd
party library called cpptasks, which is unmaintained, using some ANT
build, which has been discussed to get entirely removed etc.

http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/cpptasks/index.html

> There are a number of
> web sites / projects out there to help people build log4cxx, apr, and
> apr-util on Windows.  It seems to be a second-class citizen.

Not for everyone... :-) I've even created my own project files for
C++Builder, which a lot of people don't care about out there.

> I spent yesterday making a cmake build environment for log4cxx that builds
> against the libapr-2 trunk on Windows.

For the docs:

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/pull/3

> In the process I have found that although static
> linking seems to build okay, shared libraries are missing some
> LOG4CXX_EXPORT commands.

You might want to file bugs for the problems, if you still have logs
or something:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LOGCXX

> So
> my question is this - what is the state of this project?  Is it dead?  Are
> there people actively using it and working on it?

I'm using, but not actively working on it. Once a while I try to make
a release, that's where the archives in dist-dev come from, but in the
end, there are always more important things I need to work on. So the
only thing left for me is anwering bugs or writing mails like these.

Feel free to join the project:

https://community.apache.org/contributors/

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning