logging-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [log4j] A better log4j2.debug
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:22:00 GMT
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are some related properties to what you're proposing already:
>
> log4j2.simplelogStatusLoggerLevel
> log4j2.defaultStatusLevel
> log4j2.statusLoggerLevel
>
> Though it's a bit confusing setting them here since some of these
> properties get overridden by the configuration file or only apply in
> certain life cycles.
>
> Are you proposing a unified property that overrides everything globally? Or
> would the status attribute of the configuration element take precedence?

Yikes. What I want to do is use a -D on the command line instead of editing
the status attribute in an XML configuration file.

The docs for log4j2.defaultStatusLevel and log4j2.statusLoggerLevel are
very confusing IMO. I suppose I'll have to try both. Can these docs be
improved with an intro sentence for each saying "To do X, use Y"?

Gary