logging-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [log4j] MongoDB driver 2.x vs. 3.x
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2018 00:13:39 GMT
On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 4:20 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> What do you mean by “renaming”?

Hello,

What I mean is that the Maven module's artifact ID 'log4j-mongodb' would be
renamed to 'log4j-mongodb2' in the pom.xml file. The Java 9 module name in
pom.xml would be adjusted as well.

We could also optionally rename the package
'org.apache.logging.log4j.mongodb' to 'org.apache.logging.log4j.mongodb2'
which would be cleaner and I would prefer but probably not required.

> I don’t know that it would be a good idea for both the Mongo 2 & 3 plugins
> to have the same plugin name.

They would not have the same name: One would be postfixed with '2', the
other with '3'. I am assuming that when we talk about 'plugin names' we are
in fact talking about POM artifact IDs.

> Although it is not likely they would ever be used together if they do it
> would be impossible to ever have both at the same time.

Agreed, but I work in large stacks and there is no telling what customers
end up with in their apps. I want to avoid jar hell as much as possible.

Gary