logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Anders Kristensen <akristen...@dynamicsoft.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: modify config file loading to allow custom URL types
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:24:17 GMT

Colin Sampaleanu wrote:

> I am of mixed feelings about this whole scheme of piggybacking a
> configurator classname as a ref portion of a URL. Obviously there are cases
> when you can't in fact tell if it is a classname or a valid part of a custom
> url... I would have just used a separate system variable myself to indicate
> a special configurator class...

I agree 100%. From RFC 2396:

   The semantics of a fragment identifier is a property of the data
   resulting from a retrieval action, regardless of the type of URI used
   in the reference.  Therefore, the format and interpretation of
   fragment identifiers is dependent on the media type [RFC2046] of the
   retrieval result.

for text/html, for example, the fragment identifier specifies a precise
location within the document referenced by the URL. Insofar as the jar:
URL scheme is formally defined I'm sure its definition doesn't include
mentioning that the fragment is a classname used to interpret the data.
IMHO this use of fragments is well beyond the intended usage and it
would be better to just use a separate variable.

Anders