logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: PATCH: modify config file loading to allow custom URL types
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:16:03 GMT
At 12:18 11.07.2001 -0400, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
>At 07:11 AM 11/07/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>>At 18:23 10.07.2001 -0400, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
>>>I am of mixed feelings about this whole scheme of piggybacking a
>>>configurator classname as a ref portion of a URL. Obviously there are cases
>>>when you can't in fact tell if it is a classname or a valid part of a custom
>>>url... I would have just used a separate system variable myself to indicate
>>>a special configurator class...
>>Yes, I must agree. A separate variable seems like the way to go. How about
>>keeping "log4j.configuration" without piggybacking a
>>configurator classname and adding a separate variable "log4j.configuratorClass" instead?
>
>I think this would probably work pretty well. Do you want to do the patch, or shall I?
I would modify OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure to take another parameter which is the (optional)
classname, and feed it in from a modified Category.java. One issue is backwards compatibility.
How long has the classname as ref feature been around?

It has been around for a while. However, I deem the feature to be marginal. The more important
criteria is to ensure the proper functioning and correctness of log4j. So please go ahead
and send me a patch when you are done. Regards, Ceki