logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Colin Sampaleanu <colin...@exis.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: modify config file loading to allow custom URL types
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:18:49 GMT
At 07:11 AM 11/07/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>At 18:23 10.07.2001 -0400, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
> >I am of mixed feelings about this whole scheme of piggybacking a
> >configurator classname as a ref portion of a URL. Obviously there are cases
> >when you can't in fact tell if it is a classname or a valid part of a custom
> >url... I would have just used a separate system variable myself to indicate
> >a special configurator class...
>Yes, I must agree. A separate variable seems like the way to go. How about
>keeping "log4j.configuration" without piggybacking a
>configurator classname and adding a separate variable
>"log4j.configuratorClass" instead?

I think this would probably work pretty well. Do you want to do the patch,
or shall I? I would modify OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure to take
another parameter which is the (optional) classname, and feed it in from a
modified Category.java. One issue is backwards compatibility. How long has
the classname as ref feature been around?