logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Bushman <lo...@traxel.com>
Subject Re: LoggingEvent Serialization
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:09:33 GMT
On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Saturday, November 17, 2001, at 12:24 AM, Robert Bushman wrote:
>
> > Well, rather than adding fuel to the fire, why
> > don't I take a crack at the native Java version,
> > then if the XML version is better, or mine
> > doesn't work out, no harm done, you can just
> > use the XML version.
>
> once you have a working java object model, you could quite probably use
> betwixt and digester (from the  commons) to map this back and forth to xml.
>
> - robert

That's a great idea! One possible way to do this would
be to use those toolkits in an XmlSocketAppender and
XmlSocketNode. Then you could keep native serialization
intact for performance or bandwidth constrained situations,
and still have XML for inter-language or inter-platform
communication. Heck, if all the Log4* projects implemented
compliant XmlSocketAppenders and XmlSocketNodes, it would
make a clean and encapsulated inter-log4-protocol.