logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Smuts <ASm...@therealm.com>
Subject RE: automatic trace insertion
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:06:27 GMT
Look at http://www.aspectj.org

Basically, it was designed to do just this, sort of.

Someone on my team did this and put in timing and some other stuff.  It took
him an hour or less to figure it out and have it running.

We use it for development.  It is a bit too powerful.

It can get pretty confusing.  You want to avoid aspect on top of aspect
code.  You'll never be able to figure out why something is behaving the way
it is.

Aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: Benson Chen [mailto:benson@porivo.com]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 4:57 PM
To: log4j-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: automatic trace insertion

Hi all,

I'm interested in automatically inserting log4j trace statements at the
beginning of all methods and right before the end of a method (return
statement or thrown exception).  I'm presuming most people have worked
on projects with extensive class libraries and it would be great if
there was a class parser that could intelligently insert log4j
statements automatically.  If there isn't anything out there like that,
does anyone know of a java class parser that can be used to do this sort
of thing?  Thoughts or ideas?  Thanks!

--
Benson Chen
Director of Software Engineering