logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Farquhar <sc...@atlassian.com>
Subject Re: Avalon Logging Toolkit
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 15:18:34 GMT
Robert,

Thanks for your reasoned reply.  From a quick search of the mailing
list, it seems that well-thought out replies are common from yourself ;)

I probably shouldn't have posted my hasty email before - from reading
now, I can see how it looked like a troll.

I guess I was wondering why jakarta allows two different logging
toolkits.  If there is an advantage of the avalon one over log4j, then I
would like to hear the differences.  If these advantage can be rolled
into log4j - then we should do that.

It just seems like there is a lot of duplication of code (which the
Open-Source movement is supposed to address), and I was frustrated that
yet another toolkit was being released.

So my (more reasoned) questions are:

- what differences & advantages / disadvantages do one toolkit have over
the other?

- what prevents this toolkits being rolled into one?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Scott