logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@ewarna.com>
Subject AsyncAppender feature
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 06:30:07 GMT
First of all; Greetings to All involved for a wonderful product.

Secondly;
The AsyncAppender seems to wait for the FIFO if it is full, meaning that
if the log is generating more info than can be dealt with, it will slow
down the requests.
I suggest that it is possible to turn this wait off. Or even
individually for different priorities/levels (i.e drop debug and info
messages). It could also be implemented that if the buffer is full, that
all lower priorities are dropped out of the buffer, so that it is
possible for higher priority to be sent at full speed, while debug
messages are ignored.

I also suggest that it is possible to have markers inserted to the log
stream if messages are lost. If FIFO is full, flag with a marker in the
FIFO object about that, which generates a log message when there is a
space in buffer.

Niclas