logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Avalon Logging Toolkit
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:54:29 GMT
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> It is indeed a straight rip-off from log4j. What is most disturbing is
> that this is happening within the boundaries of the foundation.  Some
> people will condone such acts plagiarism in any way they can. It is
> easier to ignore plagiarism than actually to deal with it.

Plagiarism is a strong word.  I'm not even sure what it means in an open
source context.

In any case, an oversimplication of the history as I understand it: Avalon
is based on design principles such as inversion of control.  Those
requirements were conveyed here, and found to be impossible to implement
without affecting backwards compatibiltity.  While this is certainly a
valid consideration, it did not make the requirements go away.

Add in a dash of personallity conflict (example: people who are prone to
throw around terms like "plagiarism").  And add in the fact that what
became logkit was actually a part of an apache codebase before log4j ever
was, and you get the current state.

While I'm not exactly thrilled with duplication, I certainly prefer it over
blocking other people's work.

- Sam Ruby