logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From doug b <ummmm...@yahoo.com>
Subject DailyRollingFileAppender, TimeZone, bugs?
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:14:53 GMT
first, we are using 1.1.4 and we also have seen the
problem where the rollover doesn't occur if the
program isn't running when the time change occurs.  a
search showed the statement that this was fixed in
"1.16".  i have no idea whether that was before 1.1.4
or after or how i would get that fix (short of moving
to 1.2beta).

second, though, this appender doesn't seem to handle
TimeZones other than GMT properly.  namely, when it's
determining which rollover type to use, it starts with
a time of 0 GMT, which is 18:00 December 31, 1969 in
my timezone.  the RolloverCalendar.getNextCheckDate
method succeeds in the HALF_DAY case, rather than the
TOP_OF_DAY case, and incorrectly determines that the
log is "to be rolled at midday and midnight" instead
of "at midnight" only.  the file really is only
rolling over once a day - i think the extra filename
check in rollover() fixes this - but the type is
definitely wrong.

finally, we started looking into this because we have
a need to rollover logs in our customer's TimeZone,
rather than in our TimeZone.  so we're implementing a
TimeZoneDailyRollingFileAppender which is only barely
different from the DailyRollingFileAppender.  is this
a capability that someone has already written?  has it
been requested before?  would it be worthwhile to fold
into the DailyRollingFileAppender?

thanks for any thoughts.
-doug