logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Dmitry Skavish" <dskav...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: some issue with reloading
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 21:34:16 GMT
yes, i would love to receive this package. please send to dmitry@jzox.com, thanks!
by the way if I just reinitialize log4j in init of my servlet (I have only one) will
it help?

Tory Toupin wrote:

>  I've had a similar problem.  The issue is that the ClassLoader changes on you when you
use the reload feature of the servlet engine.
> With the Servlet 2.3 spec, there are now lifecycle listeners that you can supposedly
use to detect the change and recover.  I haven't used these, as I'm currently in Servlet 2.2
land with tomcat 3.2.3.
> I built a servlet wrapper framework that helps to take care of this.  (Again, this is
something addressed by the Servlet 2.3 spec via filters.)  Basically, what I do is write an
initializer servlet that acts as a pre- and post- filter on each request.  The servlet checks
to see if a sentinel that it puts in the servlet context has the same class loader as itself.
 If not, then it reinitializes (log4j, etc.).
> Let me know if this is something you might want to try and I'll package it up for you.
>   Dmitry Skavish <dskavish@ptc.com> wrote: hello all,
>
> I use log4j from servlets as well as jsp and just yesterday I encountered some
> very annoying problem. If I replace my servlet jar without restarting servlet engine
> (resin in this case) log4j prints the following errors and refuses to work:
>
> log4j:WARN Failed to set property [conversionPattern] to value "%d [%p] - %m%n". object
is not an instance of declaring class

--
Dmitry Skavish