logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Farquhar <sc...@atlassian.com>
Subject Re: AsyncAppender features...
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:13:10 GMT
Whilst you are waiting for people to decide on this - can I suggest that
you go ahead an create a new Appender that works to your specifications.
  You call this something new - eg. TailDropAsyncAppender.

I am not sure if dropping log-lines is what people would like, but while
they are deciding, you can always use your version of the code.  Feel
free to contribute it - there are many user contributions under /contribs.

Cheers,
Scott

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> I have posted this same issue when I first joined the mailing list, but
> never saw it show up, so...
>
> The AsyncAppender is a great feature for slow logging devices, such as
> file and sockets, but if you have too much load the async FIFO buffer
> will wait (or so it seems) for the secondary appender to complete (i.e.
> remove entries). And then the system will come to a grinding halt anyway.
>
> My suggestion is to introduce a small feature in the AsyncAppender. It
> works like this;
>
> If the FIFO buffer is full, the AsyncAppender first try to remove all
> statements of a certain level (and higher/lower?) in the FIFO, place a
> marker in the FIFO that it has occurred, and add the new entry. If no
> entries were removed, no marker is inserted and current behaviour prevails.
> "none" should be the default level for removal and the current behaviour.
>

> I have seen other requests for having the "Location" information
> available for AsyncBuffers, but I think this is less desirable. The
> rationale is that in a development environment, you don't use the
> AsyncAppender, and in the production evironment, the Location generation
> takes too long to generate anyway, and the primary feature of the
> AsyncAppender (low latency) is lost.
>
> I know I have no votes, but -1 on that anyway...
>

> Niclas Hedhman

Scott Farquhar :: scott@atlassian.com

Atlassian :: http://www.atlassian.com
      Supporting YOUR J2EE World