logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: [CODE] Resetting Loggers during Configuration
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:44:46 GMT

Mark,

I see the question. Although not documented properly, the
Hierarchy.resetConfiguration
method performs a *shutdown* during the reset. I hope this clarifies the issue.
If it does not just let me know and I'll try to do better. Regards, Ceki

ps: The approach I would suggest is simply to add a "reset" attribute in
the <log4j:configuration>
element such that if present the configurator would call
Hierarchy.resetConfiguration. In a similar
vein, a log4j.reset key should be added to PropertyConfigurator.

At 17:07 19.03.2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Ceki,
>
>Besides not locking up the entire hierarchy during the reset, I am also
>trying to avoid having log messages "lost" while the reset and configuration
>is being applied.
>
>For example, let's say have the same logger referenced in the new
>configuration settings, with the same settings as current settings.  And the
>code has been implemented to use the current resetConfiguration() method,
>called presumeably at the beginning of the parse() method.  Then isn't it
>possible that logging messages will be "lost" in the time between the call
>to resetConfiguration() and the time when the (same) Logger settings are
>"reapplied"?
>
>By resetting only the Loggers that have not been referenced by the new
>configuration, at the end of configuration process, continuity is
>maintained, and no messages are lost.  Does that make sense or is it too
>much tweaking?  Is there another way I should approach this?
>
>thanks,
>-Mark

Ceki