logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <mwom...@bevocal.com>
Subject RE: [SUBMIT] ServerSocketAppender.java
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:06:06 GMT
I think Robert has got it right.  The idea is to send all the log event
information to the remote server/client, and then let it process it as it
wants.  Sending it as text would require you to serialize/unserialize it in
some fashion (probably xml...).  That code comes pretty much straight from
SocketAppender.  Maybe it would be interesting to attach some kind of
layout-like object that could determine what format (processed text or an
object) to to send across the pipe.

The part of ServerSocketAppender that concerns me is that once the
ServerSocket enters the accept() method, there is no way to "interrupt" it
when you want to shut it down.  Right now I set a short timeout on the
ServerSocket, so it periodically interrupts itself and gives the thread a
chance to see if it has been told to shutdown.  But I would prefer some way
to immediately interrupt it when it should shutdown.  With the timeout,
there can be a delay waiting for the appender to shutdown the ServerSocket
thread.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get around this in a better way, I'd like
to hear about it.

And thanks for the feedback.  Let me know how it works for you.  Since 1.2
is already beta and heading to final release, I guess it can't be included
in log4j yet, but hopefully the next version?

I have some code I wrote to test the appender.  There is a server, pumping
messages, and clients that connect and disconnect at various rates.  If
you'd like to take a look at that code, I can post it.

-Mark