logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Moore <jim.mo...@veritas.com>
Subject RE: The future
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:45:09 GMT
Is there a list on what's planned for 1.3?  I can't find it on the log4j
site or in the mailing list archives.  (Might just be missing it, though.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 6:13 AM
To: log4j-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: The future

Hi all,

Judging from download and web-site statistics, even if having only 28 days,
February 2002 has been log4j's best month ever. With 8'627 downloads from
*distinct* IP addresses (19'771 downloads otherwise), the average number of
daily downloads has grown by 30% compared with January.

With log4j 1.2 soon to be released, is time to think about log4j 1.3. About
9 months have elapsed since the release of log4j 1.1.x. I am not excessively
happy about what has been accomplished during those 9 months.  Although the
Logger/Level name change was quite a technical feat, it does not bring
anything new in terms of functionality while increasing confusion,
consequently decreasing usability.

The planned features for 1.3 will bring significant improvements in log4j's
extensibility, with a much more powerful configuration language in XML
allowing more powerful and extensible Appenders and Layouts.

Another important feature is the addition of a graphical tool to visualize
logs. My hope is to integrate either Lumbermill or Chainsaw (possibly a
little of both) into the log4j distribution. I will do my best to work with
the involved parties in order to find a fair way to get there.

There will be many other new features included in 1.3, mostly contributions
from this group. They are too numerous to list here.

--
Ceki