logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Bushman <...@traxel.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] ServerSocketAppender.java
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:43:25 GMT
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Great idea.
> Had a quick look, and saw the ObjectOutputStream (I have not looked at
> the SocketAppender) and thought; why?
>
> Text output would be much more practical. Telnet to the port, and the
> log messages arrives, formatted and ready...
>
> Am I missing something here?

Not necessarily. If what you prefer is text ouput,
what you describe is the ideal solution, and I think
TelnetAppender is already included with the 1.2
beta.

OTOH, I think the idea of this one is to be able
to access the event objects, which can then be
redirected to a local handler (EG to a local
RollingFileAppender, or for display in a GUI
tool, like Lumbermill). In fact, if and when
I ever have a free moment from my job again :(,
I was going to write the exact same thing.